Thursday 10 December 2015

CGA Gameplay and Interactivity - Walking Simulator Unity and Built!

Ahhh  another thing to hand in which is also right round the corner. My 1-3 minute walking simulator game. Now when I first heard we had to make a first person simulator, I immediately thought no way on this planet can I do such a thing. Although I have proved my self wrong, during our lessons on coding and scripting I gradually got the hang of it. Still not that great at coding but I'm pretty happy with the end result of it.

Well first off I started off with the basic's of  how to code a rotating door, which we learnt in lesson once and tried to apply that to my game but observing my teachers code and a step by step tutorial in class as I followed along. I had a few problems as I did my rotating door by myself such as the door not rotating at a fixed point but just the whole door rotating. I quickly figured out what the problem was and it was to do with the pivot point was on the door, I had to have had it in the bottom left if I wanted it to rotate left inwards. So I went back into Maya 2016 to move the pivot point by pressing the D button to move it as well as moving the pivot point in unity as well.

I gradually started to understand coding a bit more but still not all that great as I moved onto getting a door to open when I have  a door. I would say this was my greatest achievement in coding apart from the modelling on my game. I had a few problems a long the way where I wasn't about to pick up the key at all or the door wouldn't open when I had the door, but after a few trails and error I finally got it to work and oh boy it felt good to see something work after putting the effort in.


BIT HARD AND DARK TO SEE SORRY!!!
ITS A DARK PLANE!








Now I have added a few Easter eggs during my free time when I had to relieve stress from coding, so I added Claptrap from the Borderlands game series, Assassin Creed Symbol, a random panda and the classic snakes on a plane.

I have also added animation to my game, such as flickering lights, the plane tilting although that has caused a few problems such as glitching and getting stuck into objects or even just glitching out of the level. So that caused quite a few problems but I tried my best to fix it or re-frame the  player from moving during the plane tilting animation. Although it does have some advantages, I have added a rigid body into some luggages in my plane level or a box collider so when the plane tilts, it will hit the luggages making them kind of thrown around in the plane.

In addition to the plane tilting animation I was going just use a script that would make the First Person Controller shake which would cause less problems but sadly I don't have much time left.

I have also implemented a crouch button by pressing C (with a help of a few friends) in the combination of SPACE to help jump over luggages and chairs as the space is quite tight in a plane. The crouch I have implemented also caused a problem when you jump over chairs, you kind of glitch partly go/see through the ceiling.

I have also added some sound to it along with some music when it is really needed, but sadly I may have to shorten the amount of sound I have due to some possible collisions such as having one trigger of a sound affecting another trigger of a sound if it was inside of each other it slightly touching.

OVERALL

I am pretty happy with what I have, certainly not the best and could use a few squeaks here and there if even the time but I feel like i have slightly gotten used to coding. I'm still learning but I certainly  find it enjoyable to see some thing work.












No comments:

Post a Comment